Monday, July 5, 2010

Don't Waste the Outrage


I wanted to share a little behind the scenes on a recent editorial illustration I worked on for The Progressive. I love being given the freedom to conceptualize an image, rather than have an Art Director tell me up front what they expect to see. It's my favorite part of the art making process.


These are the three initial sketches I created before choosing one to base the final off of. I like sketching out as much of the idea with good old pencil on paper whenever possible. But with the last two, I ended up moving some elements around and drawing in a bit more with Photoshop in order to make their compositions fill the image space better.


Check out which one the Art Director liked best by viewing the finished illustration HERE.

No comments: